HISTORY & SCHOLARSHIP DESCRIPTION
This scholarship honours the memory of Mario Gasparotto, a dedicated and much-loved Toronto Catholic District School Board educator, well known for his commitment and passion to the arts in TCDSB schools. He inspired many art students and was a mentor to many art teachers. As a Superintendent of Education, Mario was known for his love of art, his breadth of knowledge, his high standards and his generous manner with students and teachers alike.
Thanks to a generous bequest by Bob Wilson, a former TCDSB employee, The Angel Foundation for Learning is able to offer two scholarships of $1,000 each to help students experiencing financial need with tuition fees. The successful applicants will be graduating students planning to pursue studies in Visual Arts at the post-secondary level.
The successful applicants will be grade 12 students, who have been accepted to post-secondary visual arts studies at a college or university. The decision of the selection committee will be based on:
- the student’s demonstrated financial need in order to pursue studies in Visual Arts at the post-secondary level
- the quality of the student’s work: originality, creativity, problem-solving and technical ability;
- the student’s overall achievement in visual arts; and
- the student’s overall contribution to the school and community.
For each application, the following is required:
- a completed application form;
- a letter of application from the student, explaining post-secondary plans and financial need;
- a portfolio of photos of three to five major art works accompanied by a short statement describing the dimensions and media of the work as well as a statement explaining the purpose of the work (existing portfolio is acceptable);
- a letter of recommendation from the student’s teacher, department head or principal/vice-principal detailing the student’s achievement and work habits in visual arts as well as school and community involvement; and evidence of acceptance into a post-secondary visual arts program.
The Selection Committee will review all applications and finalists must make an oral presentation of their works to the selection panel in late May. A final decision regarding the recipients of the bursaries will be made by early June.
Enquiries regarding the award may be made to Marisa Celenza at 416.222.8282 ext. 2195 / email@example.com