The Tom Leon Charitable Foundation established the Tom Leon Student Bursary for graduates of a TCDSB Secondary School in order to help defray the cost of post-secondary school education for students that require financial assistance. This bursary will be awarded to two graduating students – one female and one male who require financial assistance in order to pursue post-secondary studies at an accredited institution. This may include a university, college or other program of study. Each award in the amount of $5,000 is designated to help defray tuition costs.
Selection of the successful candidates will be based on the following criteria:
- Contributions to the school and/or community that reflect Catholic values;
- Financial need and/or personal challenges;
- Volunteer work within the school or community;
- Contribution and involvement in extra-curricular activities;
- Academic achievements. and
- Evidence of acceptance into an accredited post-secondary institution
For each application the following is required:
- the completed application form;
- a personal cover letter from the student outlining: contributions to the school and/or community that reflect Catholic values; financial need and/or other personal challenges or obstacles; contribution to extracurricular activities (sport teams, youth groups, student council); volunteer work within the school and/or community; academic efforts and achievements; the number of community hours accumulated;
- minimum of two letters of recommendation – One from school personnel and one from outside of the school: school principal or designate, employer, department head, chaplain, support staff, teacher, coach, community leader. This letter should include contributions made to school and community, information about financial need (details as appropriate), any personal challenge, and fortitude displayed in overcoming these challenges; and
- confirmation/evidence of acceptance into an accredited post-secondary institution.
The successful candidate will be approved by the Board of Directors of The Angel Foundation for Learning, upon the recommendation of the review committee. This committee will include members of TCDSB social work staff. The successful candidates will be notified in early June. Please note the cheque for the successful applicants will be written to the university, college or program, which the students will be attending.
For further information contact
- Marisa Celenza at 416.222.8282 ex 2195 or email@example.com.
- Jennifer Tocci at 416.222.8282. ext, 2844 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Due Date: Friday, May 11, 2018
Download an application 2018 Tom Leon Student Bursary Application Form