History & Bursary Description
This scholarship honours the memory of Mario Gasparotto, a dedicated and much-loved TCDSB educator, well known for his commitment and passion to the arts in TCDSB schools. He inspired many art students and was a mentor to many art teachers. As a Superintendent of Education, Mario was known for his love of art, his breadth of knowledge, his high standards and his generous manner with students and teachers.
Thanks to a generous bequest by Bob Wilson, a former TCDSB employee, The Angel Foundation for Learning is able to offer a scholarship of $1,000 to help a student experiencing financial need with tuition fees. The successful applicant will be a graduating student planning to pursue studies in Visual Arts at the post-secondary level.
Selection of the successful candidate will be based on the following criteria:
- description of financial need and/or personal challenges in order to pursue studies in Visual Arts at the post- secondary level;
- the quality of the student’s work: originality, creativity, problem-solving and technical ability;
- the student’s overall achievement in visual arts;
- the student’s overall contribution to the school and community; and
- acceptance into a post-secondary institution in the area of Visual Arts.
Application must be completed with all of the following criteria for consideration of this bursary:
- the completed and signed application form;
- a personal cover letter, which outlines contributions to the school and community; states the nature of the financial need; includes as much detail as appropriate;
- a portfolio of photos of three to five major art works accompanied by a short statement describing the dimensions and media of the work as well as a statement explaining the purpose of the work (existing portfolio is acceptable);
- two letters of recommendation: one from the student’s art teacher and another from the principal or designate detailing the student’s achievements and work habits in visual arts as well as school and/or community involvement; and
- confirmation/evidence of acceptance into a post-secondary visual arts program.
The successful candidate will be approved by the Board of Directors of The Angel Foundation for Learning, upon the recommendation of the review committee. This committee will include members of the Wilson family as well as the TCDSB Art department. The successful candidate will be notified in early June. Please note the cheque for the successful applicant will be written to the university, college or program, which the student will be attending.
For further information contact
- Marisa Celenza at 416.222.8282 ex 2195 or email@example.com.
- Jennifer Tocci at 416.222.8282. ext, 2844 or firstname.lastname@example.org.