This bursary recognizes Norman Forma, a former Director of Education with the Toronto Catholic District School Board, as an outstanding educator. Norm retired from the Toronto Catholic District School Board after thirty-three years of exemplary service.
Widely respected for his collaborative, compassionate and student-centered leadership, Norm is particularly remembered at the board for his interest in promoting increased opportunity for students who are deaf and hard of hearing. Although he has retired from full time work, Norm continues to work tirelessly to meet the unique needs of children who are deaf and their families.
B. DESCRIPTION OF BURSARY
This bursary is presented annually to a graduating student who is deaf and hard of hearing. The bursary, in recognition of academic achievement, provides financial support in the amount of $500 towards post- secondary education at the university or college level.
The successful applicant is a graduating student from either the class or itinerant deaf and hard of hearing program with the Toronto Catholic District School Board. The student has been accepted into a college or university program and is entering first year post-secondary studies following graduation.
D. APPLICATION PROCESS
Interested students must submit the following:
• Letter of application outlining their post-secondary plans including their plans for coping with their hearing loss in the post-secondary setting
• A letter of support from the student’s teacher of the deaf and hard of hearing detailing the student’s academic achievement in light of the hearing loss and a description of how this individual contributed to the school and community
• Evidence of acceptance into a post-secondary program
• The application and a letter of reference must be forwarded to Jessica Colucci, The Angel Foundation for Learning.
E. SELECTION PROCESS
The review committee will consist of the interdisciplinary support team from Special Programs Deaf and Hard of Hearing. Consideration will be given to:
• Significance of hearing loss
• Student’s overall achievement
• Student’s post-secondary plans
• Student’s overall contribution to the school and community
• Notification of the bursary will be given in early June.
F. DONATIONS TO THE NORMAN FORMA BURSARY
Donations to the Norman Forma Bursary can be made through The Angel Foundation for Learning, 80 Sheppard Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario, M2N 6E8. Since this is a charitable organization, all donations to the Foundation will be acknowledged and a tax receipt will be issued.
More information on the application process coming soon!