The Murdocca Family Literacy Bursary honours the memory of Carmela Murdocca. This bursary will be awarded to a TCDSB secondary school graduate in order to help defray the cost of post-secondary education. As a young immigrant woman from a rural background, with family duties and responsibilities, Mrs. Murdocca was never afforded the opportunity to further her education. She always regretted this life circumstance. She strongly encouraged her children and grandchildren to continue their studies, as she believed that her lack of education had limited her opportunities in life. This bursary was established in her memory to assist a student in realizing his/her dream in further pursuing post-secondary studies in the area of English.
This bursary, in the amount of $1,000, will be awarded annually to a graduating student who requires financial assistance in order to pursue studies in the area of English at a post-secondary institution.
Selection of the successful candidate will be based on the following criteria:
- demonstration of proficiency in the area of English studies;
- evidence of contribution to the school community;
- description of financial need and/or personal challenges; and
- acceptance into a post-secondary institution in the area of English studies.
Application must be completed with all of the following criteria for consideration of this bursary:
- the completed and signed application form;
- a personal cover letter, which outlines contributions to the school and community; states the nature of the financial need; includes as much detail as appropriate;
- two letters of recommendation from the following: the school principal or designate, employer, coach, department head, chaplain, support staff, teacher, priest, community leader; the letter should outline contributions to the school and community, and state the nature of the financial need; and
- confirmation/evidence of acceptance into a post-secondary English program.
The successful candidate will be approved by the Board of Directors of The Angel Foundation for Learning, upon the recommendation of the review committee. This committee will include members of the Murdocca Family. The successful candidate will be notified in early June. Please note the cheque for the successful applicant will be written to the university, college or program, which the student will be attending.
For further information contact
- Marisa Celenza at 416.222.8282 ex 2195 or email@example.com.
- Jennifer Tocci at 416.222.8282. ext, 2844 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Due Date: Friday, May 11, 2018