The Murdocca Family Literacy Bursary honours the memory of Carmela Murdocca. This bursary will be awarded to a graduate of a TCDSB secondary school in order to help defray the cost of post-secondary school education. As a young immigrant woman from a rural background, with family duties and responsibilities, Mrs. Murdocca was never afforded the opportunity to further her education. This was a life circumstance she always regretted. She strongly encouraged her children and grandchildren to continue their studies as she believed that her lack of education had limited her opportunities in life. This bursary was established in her memory to assist a student in realizing his/her dream in further pursuing post secondary studies in the area of English.
This bursary, in the amount of $1,000, will be awarded annually to a graduating student who requires financial assistance in order to pursue studies in the area of English at a post-secondary institution.
Selection of the recipient will be made by a committee composed of representatives from the TCDSB Literacy Team and members of the Murdocca Family and will be based on the following criteria:
• Demonstration of proficiency in the area of English
• Record of contribution to the school community in the area of English
• Description of financial need and/or personal challenges
• Acceptance into a post-secondary institution
For each application the following is required:
Application must be completed with all of the following criteria for consideration of this bursary:
• The completed and signed application form
• The personal covering letter
• Two letters of recommendation from the following: the school principal or designate, employer, departmental head, chaplain, support staff, teacher
• Evidence of acceptance into a post-secondary English program
Final Selection will be made by a committee comprised of Murdocca Family members. The successful candidate will be notified by the end of the second week in June.
Enquiries regarding the bursary may be made to Marisa Celenza at 416.222.8282 ext. 2195 or firstname.lastname@example.org