This bursary of $500 is awarded each year to a TCDSB secondary student, to defray costs associated with pursuing an apprenticeship program or continuing post-secondary education in the skilled trades.
Mary Jane McKeen taught for over 34 years, the last 17 with the TCDSB. She passionately believes that for children who have skills working with their hands, this bursary will help them fulfill their dreams and realize the value and dignity of work in the skilled trades. Through this bursary, Mary Jane honours her parents, George and Wanda Wymer, who each enjoyed a long and fulfilled life because of their hard work, determination and talents. George, an accomplished carpenter and gardener, and Wanda, a fabulous cook and baker, were excellent role models for their children and grandchildren. Their grandchildren, David and Christopher McKeen, continue to demonstrate these same talents and admirable qualities.
Selection of the successful candidate will be based on the following criteria:
- evidence of contribution to the school and the community;
- description of financial need and/or personal challenges; and
- evidence of acceptance into an apprenticeship program or post-secondary study in the skilled trades
Application must be completed with all of the following criteria for consideration of this bursary:
- The completed and signed application form;
- a personal cover letter, which outlines contributions to the school and community; states the nature of the financial need; includes as much detail as appropriate;
- Two letters of recommendation from the following: the school principal or designate, employer, coach, department head, chaplain, support staff, teacher, priest, community leader; the letter should outline contributions to the school and community, and state the nature of the financial need; and
- Evidence of acceptance into an apprenticeship program or continued studies in the trades
The successful candidate will be approved by the Board of Directors of The Angel Foundation for Learning, upon the recommendation of the review committee. This committee will include members of the McKeen family. The successful candidate will be notified in early June. Please note the cheque for the successful applicant will be written to the university, college or program, which the student will be attending.
For further information contact
- Marisa Celenza at 416.222.8282 ex 2195 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jennifer Tocci at 416.222.8282. ext, 2844 or email@example.com